Monday, October 3, 2016

number 2 [week 29]


Symptoms: This week has been a bad combination of charlie horses and foot cramps and what apparently is called restless leg syndrome (RLS). I've been waking during the night with horribly achy legs, looking for comfort in rolling onto my opposite side and/or changing my leg position. One particularly bad charlie horse woke me in near-screaming pain, frightening poor Eric awake as well. According to the information in the link, iron deficiency may be a cause for RLS. I just started taking iron supplements twice a week since my blood count from my last prenatal appointment was low, so we'll see if those help with both issues over time.

Cravings: The Olive Garden. When doesn't that sound good?

Aversions: I'm trying to eat more protein in the morning, and of course eggs come to mind. And of course, fully cooked eggs are still kind of blah.

Missing: Those dang runny eggs. Eric makes the best fried egg sandwiches! Wah!

Mood: I've been quite emotionally hormonal lately. The water works have been present, as has the 'tude. Oops.

Sleep: Lots of napping occurred over the weekend. I had a week of 2-hour trainings after school Monday through Thursday, which left me feeling super tired on some days. Luckily I had that Friday off and enjoyed a 3-day weekend complete with 3 days of naps. I would've loved to sleep in on one of those days, but that just wasn't in the cards.

Dreams: The break-up dream returned again with an ugly vengeance, visiting this week 2-3 times. The last dream was the absolute worst, causing me to wake up at 4:00 am and leaving me awake for what felt like almost an hour. It was so emotional that I laid in bed and cried, a reaction I've never had before. These nightmares can really just go away and jump off a cliff any time now. I'm so done with them.

Movement: I've been routinely tracking Wesley's kicks and filling out my Kick Count Card as instructed by my doctor. Baby Boy is doing great and making his 10 movements in well under 10 minutes most nights. His rolls and jabs are getting stronger and stronger, making my belly look like a science experiment. Simon and I played with Wesley before bedtime one night, poking at the hard spots where Wesley was parked so that Simon could feel his brother nudge back in response. Those sweet moments make me look forward to the days our boys will spend playing (and no doubt roughhousing) together as best friends.

Best Moment: The week felt like it dragged with extra hours at work, so nothing of noticeable delight really happened. I think I was just super happy to have Eric home over the weekend. I was absolutely fine with him being gone in Tahoe the weekend before and had a lot of fun spending time with family, but for some reason I just missed him so much. Maybe it was just that emotionally hormonal side that I've been experiencing or my subconscious feeling partially insecure with him being so far away while being so pregnant. Whatever the reason, I'm relaxed in knowing that we won't be spending any more nights apart again before Wesley comes--and for a long time after, too. It was comforting having Eric home, and he happily took excellent care of Simon and me.

Baby Buys: Our extra car seat base for daycare came in the mail from my dear friend, Kerry! She wasn't able to make it to my baby shower, but kindly sent a gift from my registry. This will be greatly needed when I return to work, so I appreciate Kerry's sweet gesture so much.

Other News: I've mentioned my low blood count and eating more protein for a reason. Along with my CBC results, my glucose test numbers came back and showed my blood sugar tolerance higher than the normal range. My doctor recommended me for the 3-hour glucose screening test, which required fasting for 8-10 hours and a total of 4 blood draws, one upon arriving at the lab and 3 at the 1-hour, 2-hour, and 3-hour marks after drinking the delicious glucose beverage. My results all came back within the normal range, but my numbers after ingesting the drink were at the high end of 'normal.' As a precaution, my doctor suggested I follow a gestational diabetes diet to help my body in keeping my blood sugar steady. It sucks to be limiting delicious carbohydrates in my diet, but it's better than having to poke my finger to check my blood sugar several times a day. It's been most surprising to me because my sugar levels were completely normal with Simon, but of course every pregnancy is different.

Looking Forward To: Just thinking about meeting my dear Wesley. I catch myself rubbing my belly where he makes his bigger movements, imagining that I'm rubbing his back while holding him in my arms. I know I've still got a considerable time left to wait, but this mommy is growing anxiously excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment