Monday, December 10, 2012

pregnancy [week 28]


Holy 28 weeks/7th month/3rd trimester!  I have entered the beginning of the homestretch of my pregnancy!  Where has the time gone?  As much as it seems like I've been pregnant forever, I can't believe I'm already so far past the halfway mark.  I feel enormously pregnant; I catch myself in the mirror or in the reflection of a window and I'm like, WHOA I'M HUGE!  The belly view from the side is so much different from the belly view from above (and yes, I can still see my toes, but I have to lean forward just a bit).

The photo above is from our 5th Annual Holiday Cocktail Party.  Back in 2008, we decided with our friends that it would be fun to pretend to be fancy one evening and get dressed up to drink and party at our house (I use the word "pretend" because we were in our early 20s and not quite as capable of being truly fancy at the time haha).  I planned the very first cocktail party for the first Saturday of December as a fun way to kickoff the holiday season and figured the first weekend of the month wouldn't conflict with too many company Christmas parties.  Five years later, the tradition has stuck and we have been able to include more and more of our friends each year.  It excites me to know that everyone still looks forward to our annual shindig and enjoys dressing up according to my 'fancy' attire request.  I didn't let being pregnant hold me back from entertaining this year, but I did have to sit out from participating in my famous champagne pong tournament for the first time ever.  It was still a great evening with great food and great friends, and I think Simon enjoyed himself in my tummy!

We had my 28-week prenatal appointment on Tuesday and everything is still progressing normally and healthy.  I took care of my glucose test and RhoGAM shot and got all of my other regular vitals checked.  The nurse commented that my blood pressure was perfect, which set my mind at ease considering all the stress I've been experiencing at work over the last few weeks.  My nurse practitioner assured me that high blood pressure would only be a sign of a major complication with my pregnancy, and stress alone wouldn't cause it to spike (at least to levels that we would be concerned about).  I'm up a total of 19 lbs. and according to this week's video from The Bump, I am supposed to gain another 11 lbs. this trimester.  If I stay on track, that will put me right at my 30 lb. goal!  I also received my Kick Count Card at my appointment so I can record Simon's movement and be aware of anything abnormal.  So far, he has been doing great and is as active as ever!  We booked the rest of our appointments through my 40th week, which is just another reminder of how close we are to reaching the end of my pregnancy and the beginning of our son's life outside the womb.  It's exciting and scary all at the same time!


Our boy is about the size of an eggplant at 28 weeks.  He's still getting the hiccups often and I feel his pounding movements more and more throughout the day.  I'm beginning to wonder if Simon will be born with a full head of hair considering how much heartburn and indigestion I've been having lately.  The burning in my throat is no fun, especially when I'm resting or trying to fall asleep.  Once I am sleep, I'm completely out and haven't been woken by any discomforts yet, thank goodness!  I'm tired earlier and earlier in the evenings, and even get worn out at work pretty easily if I'm running around a lot.  It's no joke that the bigger baby gets, the more room he uses and the less your internal organs have, squishing everything together and making breathing a little tougher.  All aches and pains considered, it's definitely all worth it for the health and safety of my baby boy.  And because I love him so much, I've already begun compiling my list of pains I've experienced and sacrifices I've had to make in preparation for me to throw in his face when he's being a rascal of a teenager.  I can see Simon now, rolling his eyes every time I start off a rant with, "I carried you in my belly for 9 long months...!"

No comments:

Post a Comment