As this Christmas day comes to a close, I am grateful for all the wonderful things I have in my life and the joys of what Simon's upcoming arrival will mean for our family. However, it is also the time of year to be reminded of what is most important during the holidays. We sometimes forget to not put so much emphasis on how much you are able to spend on gifts or how many you receive; but instead to be thankful for what you do have, to enjoy sharing and spending time with loved ones, and to remember to give - even if only in a small way of donating your time or items to those less fortunate. I'd like to think that most of us think in these terms around this time of year, but it never hurts to be reminded.
With that said, I am sad to announce the passing of my grandfather, my dad's father, Robert, today some time around 12:00 pm. The news came as somewhat of a shock and of course was not easy information to deal with or share on Christmas. The photo above is from my grandpa's birthday a few years ago (left to right: my dad; Grandpa; and Dad's 2 brothers, my uncles Don and Chris) but recently the 4 of them were all together in New Mexico for my great grandmother's funeral in October. We won't know how or when the arrangements for my grandpa's funeral will be decided, and at this point I'm thinking I might be too far along in my pregnancy to be able to fly out to attend the services. The plans will form as they get figured out, but doing so on a holiday is understandably kind of difficult.
While my grandpa's health had not been well for some time, it does not lessen the sadness of his passing. His side of the family has experienced many losses during this year, and the synchronicity of my grandfather's loss with the holidays does not make mourning any easier. What I do hope for--in our family, with my friends, and to anyone else reading--is that everyone takes a moment to remember the true reason for the season. Don't worry about the presents and the traffic and the gas prices for just a moment and instead rejoice with those whom you care about the most. Be thankful for your time with your loved ones and treasure your most important gift of all: Life.
Wishing a safe and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
my last visit with Grandpa Robert
February 2007

No comments:
Post a Comment