As my 6th month comes to a close, I can't believe I'm closer to the end of my pregnancy than its beginning. While I do feel like I've been pregnant for a long time, I'm amazed that I'm now so far along and not too far from the end goal. I look in the mirror and am astonished at just how big I've gotten; there are times when I still feel plenty capable of bending and reaching and moving, and there are others when this belly is just in the way of absolutely everything! It's only going to get bigger before it gets smaller, and by that time I wonder if I'll have completely forgotten what it feels like to have a normal, non-pregnant body shape... like, what was my life like before pregnancy?
After my friend, Erica, asked me if I've felt Simon having hiccups and explained what a baby's hiccups feel like inside of you, I realized OH MY GOSH, YES! I have been feeling them! The thumping is quite faint compared to normal kicks and jabs from his hands and legs and has an almost rhythmic beat to it. I called Eric over to touch my belly during one of Simon's hiccups sessions a few nights ago, and he was able to feel them with his hand. I imagine the baby breathing in the amniotic fluid around him and smile at the cuteness of him getting hiccups, but I also hope that he doesn't experience any kind of discomfort. I'm already worrying about anything and everything concerning Simon and what he may be feeling on the inside. I know he is safe inside my uterine walls, but I'm gearing up for 'Mommy-mode' and am constantly hoping he's flawless and healthy.
Speaking of worries, this week back at work after Thanksgiving was another stresser. I was able to sit down with one of my supervisors and get some major questions answered about our current classroom situation, and the information I received was both satisfactory and mind-settling. I know that a small part of my stress level is my own character flaw; I'm deeply invested in the success of our students and care a great deal about their quality of learning and care. It is in no way inappropriate for me to be so invested, but it does have an effect on my stress being so involved and worried about how everything is functioning. Basically, I need to learn to not carry so much of a burden that is not mine and need to take care of myself (and of course, Simon). I know that my work and dedication is very much appreciated by my superiors and it is thanks to the help of my amazing team of colleagues that our classroom is still "running." As with many things in life, it is going to get worse before it gets better, and I just need to remember that I am doing the best that I can and that is all I can do! And my best is still pretty damn good for a lady who is nearly 7 months pregnant!
At 27 weeks, Simon is about the size of a rutabaga! [I've had so much fun saying rutabaga all week long, sometimes (okay, every time) putting a southern drawl on it. I had to look on Wikipedia to learn that 'rutabaga' is basically a fancy word for a turnip, which is easier to remember but isn't as funny. I've never eaten a rutabaga before, but did come across a few recipes for them when Googling the vegetable. I'll let you know if I attempt a meal out of it or just let it go to waste haha.] He's now opening his eyes to check out the light and shadows of the womb, as that's pretty much all he's able to recognize at this point. No Braxton-Hicks to report for the week, and only mild back pain and leg cramping here and there. My sweet tooth has been on high alert as of late, and I'm not sure if it's so much pregnancy-related as it is holidays-related. Either way, I feel like I'm eating mostly carbs and sweets and drinking less water and more coffee (yes, decaf). I do blame the cold weather, and the holidays, and my pregnancy cravings... excuses, excuses, excuses! Not to worry - I do get my fruits and veggies when I know I need them, and my weight is is good shape. No shameful guilt for this prego going into the holiday season!
Watch the video to learn about the phenomenon of snissing!


No comments:
Post a Comment