I dropped the ball and didn't get a belly picture for 24 weeks. Work was incredibly insane and stressful, and the recent time change and shift in weather hasn't helped either. But, I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm still struggling to post my weekly updates on time, but I figure that it's better to stay consistent with my blog posts than my bump pictures if it has to be one or the other. I'm trying my best over here!
Since I have no photo to show my current size, I'll try to describe it for you. I'm at an official 15 lb. weight gain, which my doctor confirmed is on track at my 24-week prenatal appointment. As my belly rounds out, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do previously simple things, such as putting on socks, getting up from the couch, and shaving my legs. My toenails, which have been horribly neglected for the last month, were in desperate need of a trimming but I just wasn't confident that I'd be able to maneuver myself into the proper position to reach each of my toes with the clippers. So, my darling and wonderful husband was kind enough to cut them for me, being very delicate with each toe and giving me much relief after trimming back my large toenails that were starting to dig into my skin. No, I did not proposition him for a full pedicure complete with nail polish, but I may be requesting his help in that department again soon.
Back to my prenatal appointment: it was a routine exam covering all the regular basics. Blood pressure is fine, Simon's heartbeat is still strong, and my pregnancy continues to progress normally without complications. My doctor measured my belly for the first time but didn't share the number with me. At my next appointment, I will be taking the glucose test and receiving the RhoGAM shot. It's been fun not having to deal with any needles at my last few appointments, but I knew the time was soon coming when we'd meet again. My doctor also mentioned her suggestion that I receive a flu shot and a whooping cough booster (she suggested both for Eric as well), so we'll see just exactly how much they will be sticking me like a pin cushion when I go back in 4 weeks!
One more note to mention is that we had a yard sale last weekend to get rid of a bunch of stuff and clear out the room that will become the nursery. We only made $35, but the greater priority was getting the junk out of the house rather than trying to turn a profit. With the exception of a few items, everything we didn't sell was packed up and immediately dropped off at Goodwill when we were finished. It felt really good to get all of the stuff gone and we are almost done clearing everything out of the soon-to-be nursery. It's going to be a big organizational process--especially when we start getting baby furniture--but it will be fun to begin shopping and decorating and imagining what the room will be like with Simon actually in it.
At 24 weeks, our boy is about the size of a cantaloupe (yay! a bigger fruit). I can tell that he is definitely getting bigger by the greater force of his movements and where I'm feeling him kick and punch. One night, he was beating on me so bad from the inside that I freaked out a little bit and started to cry from the pain. After about 10 minutes, Simon calmed down and so did I, and I realized that everything was indeed fine and he was just having one of his little active fits. Other aches and pains I'm continuing to deal with are of course the leg cramps and a stiff lower back, both commonly felt after I wake up. I've also noticed cramps in my toes getting progressively worse, again once recently bringing me close to tears (thanks, hormones). I feel like such a baby because this stuff is nothing compared to all the pain that will be coming! On a lighter note, I'm still not swollen in my legs or feet but I did decide to take off my fitted toe ring in preparation for it to happen eventually. Now that I think about it, I probably should consider talking Eric into painting my toenails now to keep my feet looking pretty while they still can!

No comments:
Post a Comment