Tuesday, January 1, 2013

pregnancy [week 31]


Near the end of my 7th month of pregnancy, we celebrated the holidays and the beginning of my 2 1/2 week vacation from work.  2 days before Christmas, Eric and I made an overnight trip to Tahoe thanks to my friend, Jen.  Her work had a 5-day timeshare at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort and there were 2 nights when one of the rooms was going to be vacant.  She offered it to us and I practically jumped for joy (I say practically because I can't really jump at all lol) at the idea of a free night in Tahoe with snow just before Christmas.  We drove up in a pretty hairy snow storm, but with the 4-wheel drive engaged in Eric's truck we arrived safely and had a great time walking around in the sideways-falling snow.  Our room was a miniature apartment, complete with a kitchen and living room where we made spaghetti for dinner and cozied-up in front of the TV and fireplace.  The short trip was exactly what we needed to have some time together just the 2 of us, and luckily the weather was clear and sunny for our drive home.












We spent Christmas Eve at Eric's dad's house.  Benjamin could not contain his excitement looking at all of the treasures waiting for him, so we opened presents before dinner.  Simon had a few gifts under the tree, which was really sweet and made me so excited to think about his first Christmas next year.  After recovering from the food coma, Eric and I ventured out for our tradition of looking at the Christmas lights in Rocklin.  While the weather was clear, I wasn't sure if I felt up to walking the neighborhood and was debating asking Eric if we could drive through instead.  We apparently showed up earlier than we have in past years because the line of cars waiting to drive through was insane!  I decided that waiting in the car would be worse than getting out and walking, so we found a parking spot on the next block over and made the trek.  My back started pinching up toward the end, but I made it through the entire neighborhood on foot without falling or killing anyone.  As we made our way back to the car, I realized that when we come next year we will have a stroller in tow!  Our lives are going to change drastically after Simon's arrival, but our traditions will still remain and it will be such a joy to share them with him.

opening Simon's gifts
 
 Pappy (Eric's dad) thinks he's hilarious

 close-up of the onesies








Christmas morning began nicely.  Eric and I exchanged gifts before our dads made their way over for our omelet breakfast.  It was a short and sweet gathering with the absence of Eric's brother and sister, but enjoyable nonetheless.  Not long after breakfast did my dad's phone ring with the news about my grandpa.  It threw off the rest of our day and we decided not to attend Christmas dinner at my cousin, Teri's.  She and her husband, Jon, were sweet enough to drop by with food anyway and stayed for a short visit.  At this point, I am waiting for the county office to reopen after the holidays so I can contact HR about our bereavement policy.  From there, I will be seeing my doctor for a check-up and if both green-light me, I'll be making the trip to the funeral in New Mexico with my dad by car.  Losing a family member is always a difficult process, and dealing with the loss during the holidays makes it no easier.  I really hope I am able to attend the services, just as long as Simon's health and safety won't be compromised.


At 31 weeks, our boy is the size of a pineapple... which we chopped up and deliciously served with Christmas breakfast haha!  I am excited to learn that all 5 of his senses are now fully developed, but of course he won't actually be able to pick up any smells until he exits the womb and begins breathing oxygen.  His activity level is still in high gear, and as he's growing and becoming stronger his hiccups and kicks are very uncomfortable.  I wince in pain practically every time he decides to jab a body part into a sensitive place, and all his other movements feel like spasms.  Gone are the days of feeling cute, little movements--Simon is busting me up all over the place!  I'm still struggling to breathe as my love bug continues to crowd my lungs and diaphragm, and I am now looking forward to when he will begin to drop and I can inhale a little easier.  Although, dropping will mean he's preparing for his entrance into the world, and as much as I can't wait to meet him we are not quite ready for his debut just yet.  Still gotta get that nursery together!    

No comments:

Post a Comment