Saturday, January 12, 2013

pregnancy [week 33]


My trip with my dad to New Mexico was short and sweet, but MAN am I glad we didn't drive.  In 3 days I was more exhausted than I've ever been, and I know this ain't nothing yet.  But plane rides and car rides and lots of going here and there can be very tiring for an 8-month pregnant lady.  Simon did really well, and of course was his active little self during the whole trip.

The morning we left started out with a bang, and that bang was me.  I got up at 2:30 am to go to the bathroom and on my way back to bed, I clumsily tripped over my suitcase and went flying.  Thankfully, I landed on my hands and knees but of course the crashing noise scared the living crap out of Eric as well as my dad, who was sleeping downstairs.  I wouldn't allow myself to fall back asleep until I felt Simon move, which only took about 10-15 minutes, but I remained wide awake until my alarm went off at 4:00 am.  Needless to say, it was a very long day of travel and visiting with family with a bruised and horribly carpet-burned knee.  A waddle plus a limp equals a very slow-moving mama! 

I took my diaper bag for a spin as my carry-on for the plane ride.
This is us at the airport at 5:30 in the morning!

My grandpa's service was really nice.  Our family gathered in the small town where he and my dad were born, Fort Sumner, New Mexico.  The funeral began with a Catholic mass and was followed by a military honor from the Air Force Honor Guard.  It was a really moving ceremony to watch and I am grateful for our cousin who reminded us that my grandpa was eligible for military services.  The rest of our time was spent with our family.  My dad had just been in New Mexico 2 months prior for his grandmother's (my grandpa's mom) funeral, but I hadn't visited since 1998 and hadn't seen some of the family since 2002.  Everyone agreed that we all need to get together more under happier circumstances, and one of my grandpa's cousins has started talking about planning a family reunion, the first in 11 years if it's put together by this summer.  I really enjoyed seeing everyone and I am very grateful that I was able to attend the funeral.  I look forward to telling Simon about this trip when he is older and hope I get to bring him there again with Eric some day in the future.

At 33 weeks, Simon is the size of a durian... whatever that is!  After spending 2 straight days on the couch recovering from travel, there was no way I was going to even try attempting to find one of these things.  On a lighter note, our boy is measuring at about 4.2 to 5.8 lbs. and 17.2 to 18.7 in.  While we were in New Mexico, Simon began this new trick of beating on me really, REALLY hard when it's time for us to eat.  If dealing with hunger while pregnant isn't enough, having a baby use your insides as a punching bag isn't any better.  I also hit a milestone myself: my hands and feet finally became swollen.  My dad thought it may have been due to the elevation (we were at approximately 4,000 ft. in New Mexico), but I was still swollen during the entire day after we got back.  My hands and feet have since returned to their normal size, which leads me to believe that the swelling was really due to all my activity during the time we were gone and not enough relaxing with my feet up.  My rings aren't hurting me as much as they were and I've started wearing ankle socks so I don't have to worry about cutting off the circulation in my legs.  For now, I'm just dealing with the heat (internally, I'm a furnace!) and watching the clock tick and the days pass as we get closer to meeting our son.  Our hospital tour has been scheduled and before we know it, it will be time to pack the diaper bag and install the car seats.  This baby is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment