We rang in the new year of 2013 a few days into my 32nd week of pregnancy. It was just another one of several get-togethers we've attended since I've been pregnant where I wasn't able to partake in a celebratory toast or shot or enjoy a taste of fabulous wine or other spirits, but I've gotten pretty used to it. Sure, you may catch me jealously sniffing at the fruity aroma of Eric's blueberry beer, but I've chosen to 100% abstain from alcohol consumption while pregnant. And as I enter my 8th month, I can proudly say that I have stayed true to my vow since learning of my pregnancy. It truly hasn't been a difficult thing to give up, and while a sip here or there probably wouldn't harm Simon, I'd rather not even take the chance. I'd prefer to just bring a can of Sprite along with me to a party and pig-out on all the tasty treats!
our first family photo of 2013!
I had this month's prenatal appointment rescheduled for this week to precede my trip with Dad to New Mexico for my grandpa's funeral. My doctor said my weight gain and blood pressure are perfect, was impressed with my kick count card results and Simon's level of activity, and even complimented me for taking the stairs rather than the elevator. We reviewed my birth plan and the importance of being aware of what sorts of things will be happening during labor, delivery, and postpartum, and why certain decisions should be made or considered in advance. I understand that things may not go exactly as planned on D-day, and I am ready to be flexible and change course if needed to keep my son's health and safety a top priority. I also addressed the issue of travel to New Mexico and my doctor assured me that it is safe to travel by plane up until the time you deliver your baby. Most restrictions come from the airlines themselves rather than from practitioners, because no airline wants a woman going into labor and delivering a baby on board. My doctor understood my concerns but gave me the green light to go, even sharing her opinion that I should fly rather than drive.
Had I actually posted this blog on time 2 nights ago (yeah right lol), you would be reading that my dad and I decided to stick with driving to New Mexico due to the expensive prices of airfare and the reduced expense of not needing to rent a car. But because I am lazy, you are instead going to learn that just hours ago we changed plans and have decided to fly. After checking out my car to make sure it was in sufficient condition to make the trip, my dad found some things that were in need of replacing and quickly began running out of time to finish everything that needs to be done before we leave. He felt it best to just book airfare and finish up my car when we return and I agreed. Eric isn't completely comfortable with me flying, but he wants me to go. I understand his nerves of me traveling with the baby; honestly, I'm always nervous when traveling--pregnant or not. But we plan to be as safe as possible, and flying will be a lot less stressful on my body. With my doctor's clearance, I'm okay with it. And I found out that I get 5 days of bereavement leave for an out-of-state funeral, which means I'll have plenty of rest and recovery time. I feel very strongly about going, and I'm very glad that I get to.
Baby is the size of a squash at 32 weeks (and because The Bump did not specify exactly what kind of squash, I decided to be lazy and not buy one). It's typical for babies to begin positioning themselves head-down at this point, and by my explanation of where I'm always feeling Simon's powerful hiccups my doctor agrees that he is most-likely already in the chest-down position, beginning to prepare for his exit route in the coming weeks. It would also make sense for him to be feet up considering the beating my ribcage has been taking recently. He's kicked me so hard, I'm thinking that I actually have bruised ribs! It's painful to cough or sneeze, lay down or sit up, or even simply breathe. Eric said he didn't think that the boy is big enough to bruise me, but he has no idea what I'm feeling and how much I'm hurting. Stiffness in my back and burning in my throat from heartburn and indigestion are still frequent, and my sleep is starting to become interrupted due to discomfort. But I remind myself as we enter this year of our son's birth that there will be many sleepless nights ahead before we know it. And because these sleepless nights will include holding my baby boy in my arms, I am sure that somewhere through the exhaustion and weariness I'll find a reason to smile.


No comments:
Post a Comment