Monday, August 13, 2012

pregnancy [week 11]


Our friend, Nick, was over at our house after I took this picture and I was still wearing these same scrubby clothes and messy hair-do.  I pointed out my bump to him and he said he didn't really notice anything different.  Are all men pregnancy-blind?  I did not eat one too many Big Macs... there is a baby in there, people!  And I know I am growing because the stretchy running shorts I'm wearing in this photo were not fitting the same way they used to... comfortably!

The biggest highlight of this past week was that we got to see and hear the baby again!  My 11-week appointment consisted of a brief physical, a pelvic exam, and a review of my labs from last month's visit (all normal!).  Then we had the ultrasound.  It took a second to get a good view of the baby, but when we did we saw our loved one very clearly.  Someone must have been in a good mood because we got a great shot of the little bug bouncing around and waving its little arms at us.  Seeing such rapid, healthy movement brought tons of happy tears to my eyes and hearing that amazing heartbeat warmed my heart.  As I lay there, crying with joy over the sight of the precious life growing inside of me, looking at Eric and seeing the smile on his face, I felt so incredibly blessed and relieved that my little one continues to be healthy and safe.  I spent the rest of the day looking at the ultrasound photos and missing my baby.   


I hit a huge milestone yesterday: I finally threw up.  Twice.  And it was awful.  The first time was in the early afternoon shortly after eating an Orange Creme Yoplait yogurt.  Everything came up orange-colored and my nose ran pretty badly afterwards.  After the shakes went away I was able to eat again and felt normal.  In the late afternoon I was feeling horribly nauseous again and decided to eat a Skinny Cow Cookies 'n Cream Truffle bar, which had successfully cured a particularly bad bout of morning sickness earlier in the week.  This time it only made me feel worse and want to throw up, but I did not want to experience that again.

I held on until dinner that night; Eric made a plate of spaghetti for me and we shared a salad.  The carbs seemed to calm my stomach immediately and I even went back for seconds on the salad.  I was fine for almost an hour before the barf-feeling returned and I continued to resist it for another 30-45 minutes before losing the battle completely.  The second round was AWFUL!  With a full tummy, everything I had eaten for dinner painfully came back up, including the broccoli from my formerly delicious salad.  I cried, Eric fetched me water and comforted me as I sat shaking on the bathroom floor.  The pain in my throat felt like I had swallowed glass.  Needless to say, I didn't eat anything else for the rest of the night and even skipped my prenatal vitamins.  I was happy to find that the swallowing pain had subsided when I woke up the next morning, and so far I haven't vomited since!      


Our wiggly, waving baby is the size of a lime this week, roughly 1.6 inches long and weighing approximately .25 ounces.  The Bump says it now has a 1:1 head to body ratio which means it looks a lot more like a baby now!  When I picked out this lime at the grocery store to show Eric how big baby is, it honestly blew my mind that our little bug has gotten so big so fast.  And maybe it's because I refused to didn't have a prune to photograph last week, but seeing and holding this lime in the grocery store made it feel humungous in my hands.  And the best part?  Babe still has so much more growing to do, and I have many more weeks of excitement and surprise to celebrate over our little lovey's growth.  Grow, little baby, grow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment