At 16 weeks we had my 3rd prenatal appointment and unfortunately it wasn't too exciting. I met my new obstetrician who was nice and knowledgeable. She spoke to me at great length about making sure I keep my weight gain in check; I'm up 7 lbs. since my last appointment 5 weeks ago, when I was only at a 1 lb. increase. My doctor wasn't concerned and understands that weight fluctuates day to day, and I explained that I've been keeping track of the scale and was within the recommended weight gain at the end of my first trimester. So I'm not in trouble (or too fat, haha) and we're making sure I don't gain more than a pound a week. We ended things with listening to baby's heartbeat and we got to hear a few kicks! I'm not feeling those kicks yet, but it was exciting to know that they're happening.
I've noticed I'm quickly becoming uncomfortable after sitting for short and long periods of time. Two Fridays in a row we've gone to comedy shows (at different venues with different seats) where I've found myself having to change sitting positions every few minutes. I think it's related to my posture--which has never been great--and pregnancy is making it worse. I get uncomfortable sitting at work, too, in front of the computer or in my "comfy teacher's chair" at my table. The one place, surprisingly, where I don't find myself in pain is in the car. I only commute 25 minutes each way, but I'm thankful that the ride is pain-free. I'm usually pretty comfortable while sleeping as well, which is my most precious time. I guess my body is telling me that I need to do less sitting and more lying back with my feet up!
Finally, I had my first dream about the baby post-delivery. We had a girl (yay!) and she was beautiful. The only way I can describe her is that she had my dark features with Eric's big, contagious smile that I love. We had baby girl dressed in a trendy, colorful outfit complete with a little cardigan. She looked stylish, healthy, and happy! I was sprawled out on the couch bouncing her on my tummy and Eric was sitting on the floor smiling and laughing with us. The funniest part was that all 3 of us were completely covered in baby spit up and yet couldn't have seemed more content with life. I like to think that this dream was a glimpse of our future; a family of 3 as happy as can be!
Our little one is about the size of an avocado at the 16 week mark. Babe measures roughly 4.6 inches long and weighs about 3.5 ounces. While I'm not feeling any movement yet, the flutters should begin anytime now. I'm very happy to learn that the love bug is starting to hear my voice. I've started talking to my belly... mostly asking to start being able to feel some kicks and movement. When I'm not telling the bean about where we're going and what we're doing, I'm experiencing a pretty normal dose of pregnancy brain, forgetting small things like what I was typing if a student interrupts me and bigger things like calling HR to get information about maternity leave. But I can't complain too much about my reduced brain power; with all my body's energy going toward growing a tiny baby, I think I can give myself a break here and there. Like when I almost forgot to feed the animals... oops!
P.S. Less than two weeks until we find out baby's gender!


No comments:
Post a Comment