Friday, April 5, 2013

in the shop


I mentioned during my pregnancy that I had to take off my engagement ring due to discomfort caused by swelling in my fingers.  The ring had become so tight that taking it off brought great relief, even though I was sad about not being able to wear it.  I had even gotten used to and kind of liked the comfort and ease of only wearing my low-profile wedding band, even though it lacked the extra bling of my engagement ring.  While the swelling hadn't quite gone down 100%, my engagement ring was back on my finger before 2 weeks postpartum, and I was happy to be reunited with my favorite piece of jewelry once again.

While out and about on Monday, Eric, Simon, and I stopped in to our jeweler so I could get the 6-month check for the diamonds and prongs on my rings per our diamond warranty.  After alerting the jeweler about one of the prongs recently repeatedly snagging one of my delicate scarves, she discovered that one of the prongs holding the center diamond in place was indeed loose, and after removing some dirt found that the prong was loose enough to cause the diamond to wiggle in place.  She seized my ring and said she'd call us with a quote for the cost of the repair.

The jeweler called yesterday and said it's only going to be $60 to repair the loose prong, plus they're going to re-dip my ring so it's a glistening white gold again.  I'm happy that it will be good-as-new, but I've been sad being without my engagement ring yet again.  Now that my fingers are back to pre-pregnancy size, my loose wedding band is back to spinning around my finger without the support of the tighter engagement ring to hold it in place. 

And before you ask: yes, I tried looking at new rings before we left the jeweler.  And no, Eric was like, "No way, I just gave you a baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment