Saturday, January 19, 2013

pregnancy [week 34]


We began the week with our 2nd baby shower, this one put together by Eric's awesome hockey team.  While I will write more about it and share pictures in a separate post, I want to say now that I am still so in awe of the caring and generosity of so many people in our lives.  We are so incredibly lucky to have the love and support of our family and friends as we prepare to welcome Simon into the world, which will be in a few short weeks!  We're quickly coming into the homestretch of this pregnancy and it won't be too much longer before meeting our darling baby boy.

our awesome hockey shower cake!
  
I finally went back to work after 3 1/2 weeks off (2 1/2 weeks of winter break plus an additional 5 days of bereavement leave).  No part of me was looking forward to going back due to how much my energy level decreased during my time off.  I had such a great fear that my body wouldn't be able to keep up, and I got quite emotional worrying about it the night before my return.  Surprisingly, my body has quickly adjusted to my normal routine but my mind is having a hard time catching up.  The last 3 days have been like a fog and trying to acclimate myself to our new classroom schedule that was put in place before I came back has been similar to starting a brand new job.  The bright side is, though, that while my brain is struggling to retain all the new information and recall all the old, I'm not stressing out over my inability to keep up.  It's like I'm not even aware of what I'm missing, like I'm in la-la land!

Although I've been taking it easy since my return from New Mexico, I am still having swelling in my hands and feet.  It's been much more pronounced in my fingers, but Eric's given me a few wonderful foot rubs and continues to help me with dressing and getting around the house with my bruised and scabbed knee inhibiting my mobility.  I'm constantly thirsty from the moment I wake up in the morning until I fall asleep at night and find myself chugging ice water as often as possible, but my healthy hydration isn't doing enough to prevent the tingly feeling in my hands.  I took off my engagement ring a couple days ago because it was really hurting due to the swelling, and now my wedding ring is starting to cut off some circulation even though it's a looser band.  Eric is urging me to take it off now, but I was really hoping to make it through this pregnancy without having to part with both rings.  I'll eventually succumb when it becomes too painful; I definitely don't want it getting stuck on my finger!   


Simon is the size of a butternut squash at 34 weeks.  I'm not feeling any pressure in the lower part of my uterus and the boy continues to bounce off my ribs, so I think it's safe to say that he has yet to make his descent toward the birth canal.  I still think he is in the head-down position, as the tiny bumps that protrude from the side of my belly are really starting to feel like tiny feet.  Eric and I talk more and more about how we think our son will act and what he will do when he comes and what life will be like as a family of 3.  It's going to be such a change, but it's one we look forward to and are happy to be experiencing together.  In fact, Eric said the funniest thing to me this week about our current stage in life:

"We're such adults now; I'm going to work, you're pregnant... I have a beard."

Yep, we're definitely pretty grown up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment