Does my facial expression in this photo show how miserable I was feeling? Because I was. Trying to smile through contractions isn't the easiest thing, nor is standing or walking. Unfortunately (yes, I said unfortunately!), the contractions I'm experiencing are still only practice rather than labor so I really haven't felt anything real just yet. These moments of discomfort are only mild inconveniences for the time being...
I actually felt pretty great the majority of the week. My energy level was high, like through-the-roof high, and I started getting excited that maybe it was an indicator of news (or baby) to come. Well, he's still on the inside and my energy eventually weaned, but it was amazing while it lasted. I almost felt like I was back in the 6th month; feeling big, but still able to function relatively normally. While all good things must come to an end and I am a little bummed that the end of the week had to end with the return of my sluggishness, I hope that since Simon has yet to make his appearance that I am in for at least maybe one more spurt of energy before labor comes!
When Eric and I went to my 36-week prenatal appointment we found out that all these Braxton Hicks got me dilated to 1 cm! I was shocked when my doctor checked me as I didn't think any action had started down there yet. Sure, 1 cm is teeny tiny, but it's the very beginning of the eventual labor process! I also had my Group B streptococcus test done and got my Tdap booster for whooping cough (Eric got his done the day before my appointment). All my regular vitals were checked as usual and my doctor assured me that the swelling in my hands and feet (I had horrible cankles that day!) and the 2 pound/week weight gain I've experienced since my last visit are both normal and are signs that my body is preparing for what's to come next. I'm good to go to continue working until I go into labor, and I visited my HR representative and picked up my disability forms to be filled out by both me and Kaiser. I'm also trying to wrap up my to-do list and clean up my work space in case I suddenly stop coming in to work (i.e., labor comes instead). I want to leave work gracefully if it's within my control!
We are finally making some headway with the nursery. First, we found a glider on Craigslist for only $20! The wood needs some light polishing and I'd like to reupholster the cushions due to some stains and rips, but they are otherwise still in great condition and are super comfortable. Next, we found a 4-drawer dresser, also on Craigslist, for $50. It also needs a small bit of polishing but is otherwise in great shape. It's definitely a children's dresser based on the design and both it and the glider almost match the shade of Simon's crib. Then, I went a little crazy at Cost Plus grabbing some owl items that I've had my eye on, like this accent lamp, these drawer knobs, and a few other goodies. A few more shopping trips to various stores are required, but the room will be finished before long. I'm so excited for the final product!
At 36 weeks, baby boy is the size of a honeydew... yum! He is still hovering around the 17.2 to 18.7 inch and 4.2 to 5.8 pound range. My doctor didn't mention how big she thinks he might be at my appointment and I unfortunately forgot to ask. He surely is continuing to pack on that cute baby fat and may even already have long fingernails! To my surprise and complete relief and excitement, Simon began dropping the day after my prenatal visit, which oh my goodness let me tell you... has felt amazing! No more crowding in my lungs, no more heartburn, way easier breathing, and less rib-kicking! While the tradeoff is a different feeling in walking with him being so much lower in my pelvis and a more frequent urge to go potty, the empty space in my upper torso is fantastic. I even feel like I have better range of motion and can bend a little easier! The frosting on the cake, though, is really the fact that this too is a sign that we are nearing the end of this great pregnancy adventure and getting closer to the start of our journey into parenthood. There's no telling exactly when Simon will decide to grace us with his presence, but we're not too far off now!


No comments:
Post a Comment