Thursday, November 22, 2012

happy thanksgiving!


The first two things that Eric said to me this morning when he woke up and opened his eyes were, "Happy Thanksgiving.  We have a lot to be thankful for."

He is right; we have so much to be thankful for this year.  We are first and foremost thankful for the healthy, growing life that is being nurtured inside of me.  I am thankful for every moment I feel him move and squirm and press himself up against my other internal organs.  Every uncomfortable moment I feel--from the indigestion to the backaches to the leg cramps--reminds me that I am experiencing a short term amount of pain in exchange for the gift of a child whom we will love unconditionally for the rest of our lives.  Our baby is my reason for living, and his life is now more important to us than anything.

We are also truly thankful for all the loving and caring people who surround us.  Already we have been blessed with a number of baby hand-me-down items and gifts and are expecting not one, not two, but three baby showers to honor our son's arrival.  Eric and I earn enough money to get by, but with the help of so many friends and family members we won't have to worry as much about making sure Simon has everything he will need.  I think all new parents go through the same stress of hoping they will have everything for their new child, but our gratitude will be never-ending to those who have helped us along the way.

As always, we are thankful for our income; the roof over our heads; the hot meal cooking in the kitchen; our cars (even though as I type this, Eric is removing his truck battery that died overnight haha); electricity and water; our pets who equally drive us crazy and offer us endless entertainment and affection; and this beautiful, sunny day.  It's a wonderful feeling to be able to look out the window in the morning and smile... it's the little things in life that we should never take for granted or forget to be thankful for.

And of course, I think it's safe to say that Eric and I are thankful for each other.  Life just wouldn't be the same for either of us without all the farts, wrestle wars, food-stealing, and warm snuggles.  Without us both, Simon wouldn't exist.  Thankfully, we are living a glorious life where he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment