We got to see and hear the baby's heartbeat on Wednesday!
Eric and I were both surprised that I didn't cry, but my heart did stop when I heard the baby's. That was the moment when it became real. To be looking at the ultrasound and hearing that little beating heart that confirmed our bundle of joy is live and kicking (well, not actually yet) was surreal and awesome. It was then that I finally felt like, "Whoa, I really am pregnant." And of course when my midwife started the ultrasound and immediately exclaimed, "Oh yes, there's definitely something in there!" my mind was quickly set at ease.
My estimated due date was adjusted by one day to February 26, 2013. After my ultrasound we met with the clinical nurse to go over paperwork regarding prenatal classes and to schedule my next appointment. Then we went down to the lab for my blood draw and I DID AMAZING! Eric did have to stand close to hold my hand and shield my sight of the needle, but the procedure wasn't nearly as scary as I expected it would be. I was also shocked that I could barely feel the needle but I now feel confident that I'll be able to make it through the rest of this pregnancy and all the scary needles and blood tests that will follow.
On Sunday we finally broke the news to our dads. As hard as it was to hold in the secret for 2 1/2 weeks, Eric really had his heart set on telling them by showing the ultrasound photo. We invited our dads out to lunch at Rose Garden Chinese where they later admitted to us that they immediately knew something was up. I was surprisingly nervous and kept kicking Eric under the table as a sign of "you do it," but he waited until after paying the check to bust out the pictures. Although there wasn't much of a shock, we definitely have two very happy grandfathers and celebrated with lots of hugs and pictures.
We told Eric's sister later that afternoon... she cried!
At 8 weeks, baby is the size of a raspberry and continues to grow and grow. Our little bug is also continuing to make me feel queasy, tired, and bloated and keeps me running to the bathroom several times a day and I couldn't be more thankful. The continuing crap-feeling reminds me that everything is progressing as it should and I'm staying positive that I will feel great later on in my pregnancy. For now, I'm just focusing on keeping us both healthy... with the occasional indulgence of gummy candy and ice cream!



No comments:
Post a Comment