
I can't say it enough: time FLIES when you're having fun! As he continues to grow, life with Simon becomes more and more fun with each passing day. Everyday he is constantly doing something new for the first time, amazing us with the many new things he discovers and learns. As we've settled into a comfortable lifestyle as a family of three, it still seems like it was only a few short weeks ago when we brought our little bundle of joy home from the hospital. In reality, 4 months have flown by right in front of our eyes as our boy quickly grows out of newbornhood.
Simon had his 4-month well baby check up at 18 weeks. He received boosters for the vaccines he got at his 2-month appointment and had his height and weight recorded. Our pumpkin measured 27 1/2 inches long and weighed 15 pounds and 1 ounce. Eric and I weren't surprised by these numbers, but we were shocked to learn that Simon is in the 37th percentile for weight and the 99th percentile for height! So, he's tall and skinny; the skinny I totally get... but tall? We're not sure where that came from, but from very early on in my pregnancy Eric knew that our son was going to be big. Boy, was he right!
out and about with Mommy and Daddy

hangin' with Auntie
Simon had his 4-month well baby check up at 18 weeks. He received boosters for the vaccines he got at his 2-month appointment and had his height and weight recorded. Our pumpkin measured 27 1/2 inches long and weighed 15 pounds and 1 ounce. Eric and I weren't surprised by these numbers, but we were shocked to learn that Simon is in the 37th percentile for weight and the 99th percentile for height! So, he's tall and skinny; the skinny I totally get... but tall? We're not sure where that came from, but from very early on in my pregnancy Eric knew that our son was going to be big. Boy, was he right!
playing with his owl rattle
trying to hold his bottle
lovin' on Sophie
trying to hold his bottle
lovin' on Sophie
Simon is learning how to use his hands and is doing a great job. I've been working with him for a while trying to get him to grab for objects, particularly his toys, and he's figuring it out. We always have his owl rattle out since it is a noise-maker and an easy attention-getter, plus the handle is a large enough opening to allow for me to put it around Simon's arm for easy access. He's now grabbing at the handle more and bringing its soft surface to his mouth. He is also trying to help hold up his bottle during bottle feedings. His little hands and arms aren't strong enough or coordinated enough to allow him to hold the bottle upright to enable milk flow, but I was able to snap a few photos of him balancing it in his mouth. Speaking of his kisser, we think Simon has entered the beginning stages of teething! Our boy has become quite the drool fountain as of late, and when our fingers are near his mouth he bites down very hard. I decided it was time to break out his Sophie the Giraffe teether so he could have an appropriate chewing accessory. It only took him about a week to figure her out; I repeatedly placed Sophie in Simon's hands, showing him how to grab her by the neck or by one of her legs, and gently put either her ears, nose, or feet in his mouth to bite. He loves her now and understands exactly what her purpose is, and our little giraffe friend comes with us everywhere!
I love Mommy
Mommy's 1st Mother's Day
My very first Mother's Day was a fun and special day. My dad left chocolate-covered strawberries and Cupcake Red Velvet wine with Eric to surprise me with that morning. Simon and Eric gave me a beautiful Mother's Day card that made me cry, and then took me to the BerryFest for an afternoon of yummy strawberry eats and treats. Ashley was home from work for the weekend, so she met up with us at the fairgrounds and came over to our house later in the day for some Simon time. In the evening, we all went to watch Eric's hockey game and got to visit with Pappy the other hockey families (mommies and kiddos) on Eric's team. My first Mother's Day was such an incredible day and I was so happy to spend it with family and friends... and most importantly, my two favorite guys who made me a mommy!
Vanessa's law school graduation
ready for the Ely wedding
Jen's baby shower for her daughter, Baby Girl Hawhee
Simon had quite the busy month attending many parties and functions with Mommy and Daddy. He got to see Mommy's best friend, Vanessa, graduate from law school at Memorial Auditorium. The commencement was very nice and Simon did great despite the constant loud noises of cheers and applause from the audience. He nursed and slept and played with Vanessa's husband, Roy, during the ceremony and afterwards we went to dinner with her family. The next weekend, Simon went to his first wedding with Mommy and Daddy. He watched Mommy's good friend, Michelle, marry her wonderful fiance, Jay, at Forest House Lodge up in Foresthill. This time, baby wasn't too fond of the hoots and hollers during the bride and groom's entrance and toasts, so Eric had to take Simon out of the room. Other than that, he was as cool as a cucumber and was dressed to impress. Simon also attended his third baby shower, for Mommy's other close friend, Jen. She is having a daughter, whose name is yet to be determined, and we joke that Baby Girl and Simon are going to be boyfriend and girlfriend. As fun as an arranged marriage would be (haha), I do sincerely hope that our babes will be great playmates and wonderful friends.

2nd visit with Aunt Sami

Daddy and Simon

silly Pappy
Eric's aunt, Simon's great aunt, Sam, returned for a visit during Memorial Day weekend. It was such a treat that Simon already got his second visit with her so soon, as she had just been here 2 months prior. We went over to Pappy's house for a BBQ joined by Sam's boyfriend, Matt (who lives in Chico) and our friends Jonas, Jason, and Brandon (who was in town from Southern California). Kristine took a bunch of photos of everyone playing with Simon, who was of course the life of the party. He was passed around so much that I barely held him the entire time we were there, which at first made me feel guilty before I reminded myself that I deserve a much-needed break every now and then. Simon had been awake the entire day before getting in a little catnap with Kristine, and to our surprise he wasn't fussy in the slightest. I know he is beginning to enter the stage where he will be awake for longer stretches during the day, but sometimes I think Simon is just so curious and interested in what's going on around him that he'd rather stay up to join in on all the fun. I really don't mind--especially when we're with family--because who wouldn't want to hang out with an adorable, happy baby? We enjoyed Sam's short and sweet visit and hope it's not too long before she makes it out this way to see us again.
meeting baby Kinlee
ready to watch Daddy and Pappy battle in hockey
playing at the mall
Simon is so wonderful everywhere we take him, and we feel so lucky that we are able to bring him out of the house with us so much. Eric and I were happy to take our boy over to visit our friends, TJ and Kesley, and meet their new baby girl, Kinlee. While they are only 3 months apart, their sizes vary drastically in comparison! Simon looked huge compared to Kinlee, and seeing a newborn for the first time since we had Simon really made it clear to us how much he's already no longer a little baby. Next to going to Pappy's house and our favorite stores, Simon has spent his fair share of time getting to know the ice rink where Eric plays hockey, and we were very excited to see Daddy's and Pappy's hockey teams play against each other. Baby fell asleep toward the end of the game, but he had spent most of the time watching with great interest and cheering on Daddy (whose team won by a landslide). Our boy is also a great sport anywhere else we take him. Recently, Simon and I spent a morning walking around the mall just for fun. When it came to be his lunch time, we found a cozy chair in the outdoor promenade and I comfortably nursed him while reading my Kindle. When he was finished, Simon was all smiles as I changed his diaper in the sun and let him chew on his burp cloth. It was one of the simplest, most enjoyable moments we've spent together just the two of us.
post-bath baby

watching "The Muppet Movie"
happiest baby ever
Being this little boy's mother is such a joy. I've come to the realization that if I could be a permanent stay-at-home-mom, I would do it in a heartbeat. Alas, that choice is not in the cards for our family at this time, and I've accepted that reality. For now, I'm soaking up as much Simon time as I can. Not much makes me happier than our morning cuddles in bed, the way he now smiles back at me when I smile at him first, and the look on Eric's face when he greets us at the end of a long work day. I love our family so much, and both Eric and I are head-over-heels crazy about our boy. The minutes are just passing by too quickly, and I'm doing everything I can to enjoy each moment of our son as he breezes through this wonderful, yet terribly too-short stage of his life.






No comments:
Post a Comment