Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Simon [2 months]


We blinked, and BAM!  Simon turned 2 months old.  I feel like his monthly blog posts are going to sound like broken records, but it's true when I say again that he is growing so fast.  After taking and editing this photo, I went back to his 1 month picture and was blown away to see how much he's changed in just a month's time.  I'm glad I'm addicted to taking photos of him all the time so I can closely chronicle his rapid growth, although sometimes I wonder if I'm really able to keep up!

 last time wearing Mommy's favorite crab pajamas - size newborn

 filling out the swing more


cuddles after first shots

One of the major milestones Simon hit during his second month was growing out of size newborn diapers!  He'd been leaking through his diapers and having blow outs for a couple days before it occurred to me that maybe it was time to try a size 1 diaper.  Luckily, we had plenty on hand from our baby showers, my diaper cake, and extras given to us by friends.  The moment I tried a size 1 on him, the much-needed extra and full coverage made it clear that he would be wearing the newborn size no more.  Simon also began growing out of some of his newborn jammies and onesies and is now in that stage where 0-3 and 3-month size jammies are still on the big side but offer way more room than the tight newborn ones.  When we went to Simon's 2-month well baby visit, we were able to confirm that our growing boy is in fact doing just that: he clocked in at 12 pounds, 3.5 ounces, and almost 24 inches!   

hanging with Auntie Ashley

 meeting Aunt Sami

Simon and his aunts

Right before entering his second month, Simon finally got to meet his Auntie Ashley ("Auntie" for short), Eric's sister.  She spent a lot of time with us during the few weeks she was home from work, and we really enjoyed her extended visit.  Auntie got practice changing and dressing Simon, as well as rocking him to sleep on a few occasions.  At 5 weeks, Simon also got to meet his Great Aunt Sami, Eric's mom's sister.  Sam came to town from Las Vegas for her birthday and to meet her grandnephew.  With luck (and a huge work delay), Ashley was still home when Sam arrived, even though she was originally scheduled to be back on the road for work.  We were very happy that Simon got to spend time with both of his aunts at the same time, who both had been disappointed they weren't able to be present for his birth.

 St. Patrick's Day party

 dressed for the occasion

 our Irish family

Simon's first St. Patrick's Day was fun and casual.  On Saturday the 16th, we went to a party celebrating both the Irish holiday and our friend, Nick's, 28th birthday.  Decked out in the onesie I bought him back in January when I was still pregnant, Simon was a trooper and spent most of the night sleeping in various friends' arms.  It was nice being around all of our friends and showing off Simon, and I enjoyed sipping my first taste of beer since learning I was pregnant 10 months ago!  On Sunday the 17th, we had our first family photos taken and enjoyed delicious corned beef and cabbage cooked in the crock pot for dinner.  The day sure was different from our celebrations of years past going out for green beer at the bars, but this year we were perfectly content relaxing at home as a family. 

seeing the Easter Bunny

Easter outfit

opening his Easter basket
   
I wanted to make a big deal out of Easter this year, particularly because our families aren't big into celebrating the holiday.  I got a cute outfit for Simon, purchased him a very cool Batman Easter basket from Target (similar to this) and filled it with goodies, and Eric and I put together delicious fixings for Easter dinner at our house.  And then it hit me; it didn't occur to me until the day before Easter that we needed to take Simon to see the Easter Bunny!  After doing some frantic research and getting reassurances that I'm not in fact a horrible new parent for making such an oversight, I found an Easter event at Fairytale Town (across the street from the Sacramento Zoo) where Mr. Bunny would be available for photos.  Eric and I hadn't been there since we were children, so when we went we had fun reminiscing and planning future visits for when Simon is big enough to play on the structures and run around.  We didn't stay for the egg hunt because we forgot the stroller (read: NEW PARENTS!) but we may make this our new family tradition for Easter.  Pappy and Kristine joined us for dinner in the afternoon and we showed Simon all of his Easter goodies after he woke up from his nap.  Mini-crisis averted, Simon's first Easter was special and I was a very happy mommy at the end of the day.

fun in the bath

cozy in the towel

being a monkey in his robe

Eric and I were both surprised at how much Simon likes and tolerates baths.  We take the time to make sure the bathroom is nice and warm by turning on the wall heater and ensuring that the bath water isn't too hot or too cold.  Simon always seems very comfortable in his tub from the moment we lay him in, and he doesn't fuss or cry if too much water gets on his face.  Bath time is a team effort (for now, at least), and is fun family quality time that I think we all enjoy.  I remind myself, and Eric, that at some point bathing will be one of those things that Simon will eventually be able to do on his own, so we'd better enjoy the fun while it lasts.  It's hard to mind the work when Simon is so easy-going about it! 

 first walk out with the stroller

 hanging in Mommy's Moby Wrap

Simon smiles!

As Simon grows, I feel more comfortable taking him places, moving around with him, and being more mobile.  We're learning that getting out of the house with him isn't as big of a deal as we first thought it was, and getting hungry while we're out and about just means we have to stop for a bit to nurse... which I now know is really no big deal out in public.  Most of the time, Simon is out like a light while in the car, shopping cart, or stroller.  We've gone on walks a few times, which are really good for both Mom and baby, and Dad and doggie, when they're able to join us.  We plan to start making family walks more of a regular thing while I'm still off of work and now that the weather is nicer.  I also started wearing my Moby Wrap so Simon can sleep while I get things done around the house.  On those few days when he fusses awake every time I put him down, I can throw on the Moby and put away laundry, wash dishes, and even prepare a meal while he snoozes away against my chest.  But like I said, these days are rare; most of the time I am blessed with a wonderful baby who takes great naps in his swing and wakes up as happy as can be.  He's begun giving us smiles, which has excited us so much!

 ready to visit Mommy's work

 happiest baby ever!

 first attempt with the bottle

We've had so much fun with Simon over this last month; continuing getting to know him and learning his cues, experiencing all of his little "first moments," looking into his eyes and knowing that his smiles mean that he knows who we are... or is at least entertained by us!  When Eric and I brought him to my work for the first time, it was such a joy to see the look on the kids' and my coworkers' faces as they met Simon and were charmed by his cuteness.  I myself still sometimes cannot believe that he is mine, that Eric's and my genes came together to create something so perfect and beautiful, that this flawless creature grew inside of me and was once a part of my being.  In his short life he's already learned so much from us, like how we will come to him when he cries, and sing to him when he needs to be soothed, and feed him when he needs to be nourished... which, by the way, we've begun doing with the introduction of the bottle.  Expect a report on that soon!       

No comments:

Post a Comment